See our Events page for planned courses.
This course is designed to provide participants with the knowledge and skills to effectively supervise retort operations. Those completing the course will understand their responsibilities and how these relate to the safety and general quality of the products processed. This training is offered in association with Food Industry Engineering (FiE).
All aspects of the thermal processing of foods packed in cans, bottles, pouches, and similar containers are covered:
- Introduction to canning
- Retort systems and container handling
- Packaging systems for thermally processed foods
- Microbiology of canned foods
- Principles of thermal processing
- Retort operation and production records
- Cooling water chlorination and canning sanitation
- Regulations relevant to thermal processing
The course includes extensive practical training using the Pilot Plant Facilities at the Food Industry Centre.
A written exam covering the contents of the course and a practical examination of retort operations must be completed.
Click here for the typical course program.
This course is also available to companies to be conducted on-site and tailored to the specific requirements of the company.